The Mission of the Department of Education is to provide and advance wholistic, Christian, quality education which develops learners to be earnest seekers of truth and equip them with appropriate knowledge, skills, attitudes, technology and understanding for the teaching and leadership roles at preschool, primary and secondary school, college and university levels for the glory of God.
Bachelor of Education (Science) Students seeking a Bachelor of Education (Science) degree select from the following subject combinations as per Teachers Service Commission:
7. Home Science/Agriculture
8. Home Science/Biology
13. Mathematics/Business Studies
16. Biology/Business Studies
17. Business Studies/Geography
18. Chemistry/Business Studies
Teaching subjects are drawn from various departments of the university under the guidance of the department head of Education and two other department heads from where the candidate draws the two teaching subjects as areas of study.
For admission into the Bachelor of Education program the applicant must:
1. Pass KCSE with a minimum mean grade of C+ at secondary school certificate level or its equivalent or
2. Have an advanced level certificate with two principal passes and division II at O-level or its equivalent or
3. Have a diploma in education from a government recognized institution and have a mean grade of C+ at KCSE or its equivalent
4. Have done a diploma as a bridging course.
The student must pursue two teaching subjects selected from courses that were done and passed at secondary school level. No student is allowed to take education courses with the teaching subjects that were not done and passed with a minimum grade of C+ at KCSE or its equivalent.
The Department of Education envisions being a center of excellence in higher education and research producing world- class teachers, educational administrators, curriculum experts and researchers equipped with moral virtues.