- Category: Services
The use of Information Technology at U.E.A.B has largely been driven by the organizations needs. This has evolved from the use of Disc Operated computer systems (DOS), use of standalone and clone computers with graphical user interfaces, to the current network with a capacity of more than five hundred network nodes/access points, a few servers and other network devices.
For a long time the IT services were offered by Technology & Information Technology and Computing (ISC) departments until recently when there was a need to have a separate department to deal with IT and ICT related issues.
Goals In carrying out our mission the department hopes to achieve the following goals;
- Develop a policy framework that will guide the operations to the ITS.
- Provide advice and give direction in ICT related issues to the University.
- Plan and design a reliable, efficient and secure network infrastructure.
- Develop policies on computer acquisition, maintenance and disposal.
- Install genuine application programs.
- Develop an efficient and responsive support/helpdesk.
- Propose and oversee new project implementation.
Below is a suggested structure of the IT Services Department
In common with all modern organizations, University of Eastern Africa, Baraton is now totally reliant on ICT to operate effectively and to deliver services to the entire University fraternity. In line with this, some of the services provided by ITS include:
Infrastructure (Categorized by ITS department as stable, but needs attention for anticipated growth)
Where the emphasis will be on delivery of improved functionality and higher availability/reliability, and better service to all users.
A good network infrastructure forms the basis for a reliable and efficient network.
Network infrastructure comprises of network cabling and equipments, telecommunication equipments and computers, desktops and laptops. To achieve this the department will:
- Ensure all the network nodes adhere to internationally recognized standards.
- Ensure that there is a power backup UPS system on every network aggregation point.
- Provide redundancy and backup fail-overs.
- Ensure that all computers meet a specific standard.
Business & Software Applications
Business applications are software that help to enhance productivity. They include;
- online registrations program,
- Sun system for accounts,
- bookstore and supermarket POS programs and many others.
Software applications include;
- word processing applications,
- desktop presentation,
- statistical analysis applications,
- mathematical applications, etc.
The ITS department has developed an online support ticketing system that makes it easy to request and track IT support services.
To access this service follow these steps:
- Click the ITS HelpDesk link at the Top Part of this site (opposite the logo)
- On the resultant page, Click on Open a new ticket menu or Check status Menu (if you had created a ticket) Fill in your details in the form and submit. An email will be sent to the email address you provided with a ticket number which you will use to check the status of your ticket. (For this purpose, we encourage users to use UEAB email addresses to improve on efficiency).
ITS department has created email addresses for all faculty and staff. The email address takes the form of surname and the first letter of the first name. i.e Kamau Anthony becomes kamaua.
To get more information on UEAB ITS department as well as post questions, comments or inquiries, go to our contact form