- Category: School of Science and Technology
Message from the Head of Department
It gives me pleasure to welcome you to the web page for the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Eastern Africa, Baraton. The study of Biology is one of the most natural activities of humankind. Who among us hasn’t experienced wonder and amazement at the diversity of living things that surround us every day? To study biology is to study life. The Department of biological Sciences is an exciting and dynamic place to be. We are committed to helping our students become capable and professional scientists. The fact that many of our graduates occupy positions of authority in society as researchers, educators, entrepreneurs, administrators and consultants is testimony to the quality of training that we deliver. The strength of our educational programs is in our scholarly activities and research.
Currently we offer four options in our bachelor’s degree programme, namely:
- B.Sc General Biology
- B.Sc Biology (Biomedical option)
- B.Sc Biology (Conservation option)
- B.Sc Biology (Biotechnology option)
At Maters level we offer two options, namely:
- M.Sc Biological Sciences (Biomedical option)
- M.Sc Biological Sciences (Conservation option)
This web page is designed to provide information to all prospective and / or interested students, academics and faculty members of the Department, as well as the courses offered, entry requirements, projects/research activities, contact details and other changes taking place in our Department. You are invited to explore our website, enroll in our courses, join our programmes, engage our faculty and staff and enter the diverse and interesting world of Biology. Kindly make the most of the opportunities we offer and build a rewarding career.
Dr Ramesh Francis, Senior Lecturer,
Department of Biological Sciences
God is the Creator and Sustainer of life and of the natural world. As intelligent stewards, humans need to understand life, its unity, diversity and its distribution in space and time, and act responsibly in its utilization and preservation.
Mission The mission of the Department of Biological Sciences is to train students in understanding life and its interactions at all levels-from bio-molecules to the biosphere.
Vision Our vision is that irrespective of whether students take only a single course or complete a degree in the department, they will become knowledgeable about, and feel a responsibility towards life.
The Biology programs are designed to:
- Assist the students in developing a conceptual framework within which to deal with philosophical issues relating to the unity and diversity of life.
- Equip the students with positive attitudes towards an appreciation for the natural world including respect for its biotic and biotic components.
- Provide students with adequate technical and practical skills through well-designed laboratory practicals, and field/industrial attachment programs that will make them competent practitioners of Biology
- Prepare students for careers in diverse fields such as teaching, research, bio-diversity conservation, biomedical science and environmental studies
- Equip the students with the knowledge, skills and aptitude for postgraduate studies and professional development
- Develop in students the ability to think objectively, and to collect, analyze and draw valid conclusions from scientific data
(a) The General Biology Option includes a broad mixture of zoology, Botany, Laboratory and Field courses-it is recommended for those students that wish broad training in biology, that wish to teach biology in secondary schools and for those that are still flexible in respect to their long-term goals.
(b) The Biomedical Option is for students interested in pursuing careers in medical research, medicine and associated disciplines.
(c) The Conservation Option this is for those students interested in field biology and in working for the National Parks system or other governmental or non-governmental agencies involved in conservation and field research activities.
(d) The masters program offers advanced research and coursework oriented training that prepares the candidates for independent research and leadership in their selected areas of specialization.
What makes the department unique
- The only department of a university in Kenya that teaches practical herpetology
- Provides hands-on practical experience in Molecular Biology
- Has adopted the principle of Humane Education and is continually reducing the use of animals for education.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology (BSc. Biology)
- General Biology Option - Bachelor of Science in Biology (BSc. Biology)
- Biomedical Option - Bachelor of Science in Biology (BSc. Biology)
- Conservation Option - Minor in Biology
- Master of Science in Biological Sciences
MSc Biological Sciences Program
The University of Eastern Africa, Baraton, School of Science and Technology, Department of Biological Sciences is pleased to invite applications from suitable candidates wishing to pursue full-time studies leading to award of the degree of Master of Science in Biological Sciences. Candidates can choose to either concentrate on :
- Biomedical Option
- Conservation Option
- Dr. Ramesh Francis-Chairperson
- Prof. Fred Amimo
- Dr. Z Ngalo Otieno-Ayayo
- Mr. Ojunga Michaiah
- Mrs Grace H. Poblete
- Mrs. Gracelyn R. Francis
- Mr. Munyikombo William
- Mr. Jeremiah Were
- Mr. makokha Francis (Adjunct)
- Mr. Otengo Antony (Adjunct)
- Mr. Obimbo Moses (Adjunct)
- Ms. Mercy Mkandawire (Adjunct)