- Category: School of Business
The Department of Accounting is committed to train and develop future business professionals who are fortified with moral strength and virtues, to prepare them academically to function in their respective professions, and equip them to be effective agents for economic growth and development.
The fundamental mission of the Department is the provision and advancement of a Christian educational experience for students pursuing careers in accounting and finance in order to equip them with necessary skills for service to God and humanity.
The vision of the Department is to provide one of the best programmes in accounting and finance in Africa.
The academic programmes of the Department of Accounting are particularly designed to achieve the following objectives:
1. To equip students with necessary skills to communicate various information about financial matters.
2. To provide students with a hands on practical experience through the industrial attachments.
3. To train students for effective service as accountants, auditors, controllers, treasurers, managers, financial consultants, and other business executives, in various organizations and business enterprises.
4. To inculcate in students Christian values in accounting and related professions.
5. To prepare students for graduate studies and advanced research work.
6. To prepare students for CPA and other professional examinations.
1. Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting
2. Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance
3. Minor in Accounting
4. Minor in Finance
An applicant who scores on the KCSE a minimum of C or its equivalent, in both English and Mathematics, in addition to meeting the entrance requirements of the University, may be considered to pursue either a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting or Finance, or a minor in Accounting or Finance.
A student wishing to transfer from other departments of the University, but has not met the direct entry requirements, may be allowed to transfer provided he/she has an average grade of at least C+ in MATH 111 and 112 and an average grade of at least C+ in ENGL 111, 112 and 113.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION
In addition to the graduation policy of the University as outlined in this bulletin, the Department of Accounting recommends a student for graduation to the School of Business Board and to the General Faculty Assembly upon completion of the following requirements:
1. A minimum overall GPA of 2.00.
2. A minimum GPA of 2.25 for the business core, concentration, cognate, and minor area.
3. A minimum GPA of 2.00 for electives.
4. A minimum of eight (8) continuous weeks of practical experience in a well-established company.
5. A minimum average grade of B- in Practical Experience courses.
A graduate in accounting and/or finance has a wide variety of career opportunities. The Department prepares, equips, trains and develops the students for career possibilities in business and industry, hospitals, schools, universities, religious and not-for-profit institutions, public accounting, proprietorship, government service, and in many other recognized organizations. It is common observation that almost every organization has accounting and/or finance personnel among the ranks of its officers and employees.
The graduate may become an accountant, controller, treasurer, manager, financial analyst, chief executive officer, investment consultant, tax advisor, purchasing or marketing officer, production supervisor, or handle any business-related position in the a fore-cited organizations.